Ways to Remove Indoor Allergens
There is nothing more I look forward to than coming home from work and finding that the ‘cleaning fairies’ have left my home spotless. So, you can imagine my dismay when I found yellow dust on every conceivable surface after leaving my windows open, to air the house out, during the gorgeous weather. Then, the next day I came down with a sinus infection. After a healthy round of dusting and antibiotics, I learned from the Weather Channel this is a ‘Super Pollen Year’ due to the abnormally warm winter. Pollen means allergies in my home.
Allergens consist of dust mites, mold, pollen and pet dander. When these particles become airborne, you breathe them in and may experience an allergic reaction. Your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system may spread mold and other allergens if it is not regularly serviced. The following are ways to control indoor allergens:
- Change your filters monthly. Filters minimize exposure to allergens but must be changed often. Electrostatic filters rely on static charges created when air passes through the filters to help capture the greatest number of certain allergens.
- Get your AC service done regularly and turn it on. Cockroaches, dust mites, and mold dislike air flow. It is important to follow maintenance instructions recommended by the air conditioner system’s manufacturer to keep it running efficiently which saves you money.
- Clean your air ducts annually. If you see mold particles growing or if you smell a musty odor coming from your vents call My Plumber today to clean your air ducts.
- Invest in a dehumidifier. Ridding the house of excess moisture helps prevent the spread of mold and decreases the survival rate of dust mites and cockroaches.
- Vacuum at least twice a week to remove dust, dirt, and dander.
Hopefully these steps will make your home as efficient and hypoallergenic as possible. If you need air conditioning repair service or duct cleaning in Prince William, Fairfax, Loudoun or surrounding counties in Virginia or in Bethesda, Silver Spring, Montgomery or surrounding areas in Maryland, give My Plumber Heating and Cooling a call. We have over 30 years of plumbing service and offer air conditioning repair service and duct cleaning. Backed with the best warranties in the industry, we give our customers friendly service and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.