If you are like most people, you love being able to take a nice warm shower. So, when the hot water goes out it is not very pleasant. When the hot water goes out you need to access what could have made it happen. Determining what type of water heater you have is the first step in figuring out what the problem is. You will need to determine where your hot water heater is. If you rent your home or live in an apartment, you will need to call your property owner or building manager. Call your local plumber for help fixing your water heater.
Types Of Water Heaters And What To Do To Fix Them
- Gas Water Heater: Read your owner’s manual to find where the pilot light is located. After you find the pilot light, see if it has gone out. Calling your gas company can help if your pilot light has gone out.
- Electric Water Heater: If you have an electric water heater and your hot water goes out you will need to call a professional. This could take a few days to have someone come out, so you will need alternatives for hot water.
Alternatives For Hot Water
- Skip Washing Your Hair: This will help cut down on the time you are in the shower. Wash your body as fast as you can as to not become too cold with the lack of hot water. You may want to consider using a dry shampoo until your hot water heater is fixed and you have hot water again.
- Boiling Water: For most people the thought of a cold shower is a big no. If you are the same way, you can try boiling water on the stove. Fill your tub with about 6 gallons of the boiling water, and then fill it the rest of the way with cold water to bring the temperature down to where you want it.
- Sponge Baths: This is a quicker way to use boiling water to wash. You only need about half a gallon and your favorite soap and a wash cloth. This is a quicker and easier way to get clean when you don’t have hot water.
- Dishes: To clean your dishes, you may have to boil water on the stove so that you can use the hot water to disinfect your dishes.
- Laundry: You may have to take your laundry to a laundromat to wash it.
If your hot water goes out there is no need to panic. You have alternatives to hot water and most problems are easily fixed. If you have hot water problems, call one of our techs at My Plumber today. Our trained techs can help you better understand the problem and fix it.